About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012) New.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1234

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Israel 13, United States 13, Iran 9, Afghanistan 7, Us 7, America 6, Syria 5, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad 4, Nazis 4, Romney 3, Assad 3, China 3, Barack Obama 2, Palestine 2, Cisco 2, Ahmadinejad 2, United Nations 2, Massmutual 2, Pakistan 2, Libya 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012) New.  

    September 24, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm EDT  

9:00pm
vote hank for u.s. senate. >> i don't want to start anything but i'm fairly sure the staff is made up of more dog people than cat people but there's no dog in this fight so we have no choice. we got to vote for the cat. that does it for us. we'll be back one hour for not. another edition of "ac 360" at 10:00 p.m. tonight, my world exclusive with one of the most controversial leaders and one of the most dangerous parts of the world. if israel does launch a strike against your country, what will your response be? iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, at times combative -- >> somewhat the behaviors of the united states in our region encourages extremism. >> surprising. how would you feel if one of your children dated a jew? and heated. especially when i asked him about basic human rights for gays. >> do you really believe that someone is born homosexual? >> yes, i absolutely believe that. yes.
9:01pm
>> i'm sorry. let me ask you this. do you believe that anyone has given birth through homosexuality? homosexuality ceases procreation. good evening. welcome to a special edition of "piers morgan tonight." looking live at new york city, home of the united nations. world leaders from 193 countries are gathering for the annual meeting of the general assembly. president mahmoud ahmadinejad will address the meeting on wednesday. he had blistering words at israel today. more on that in a moment. he took aim at the security council on the subject of iran's nuclear program. >> translator: we have business that some members of the security council with little rights have chosen silence with regard to the nuclear warheads of the fake regime while at the same time they impede scientific progress of other nations.
9:02pm
>> president obama is in new york tonight ahead of his speech on tuesday, a speech that will condemn violent protests in the middle east and underscore his commitment to keep iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. meanwhile, with just 43 days to go until this country's election, mitt romney has campaigned in colorado. the latest national cnn poll has president obama with a four point lead over governor romney against the backdrop of the political race in this country and turmoil in the middle east, it seemed the perfect time to sit down with ahmadinejad at his world hotel for a world exclusive on everything from the political to the personal. mr. president, welcome to new york. many americans see you at public enemy number one. how do you feel about that? >> translator: the creator, the almighty and most gracious and the most merciful, good morning to you. i wish to greet all of the
9:03pm
wonderful people of the united states and all of the people who will see your program. at the end of the day, if you do have personal animosity towards me, don't transfer that on to the rest of the people of the united states. we love the people of the united states and they also wish in return peace and stability for all of the world. >> you've come here to make a speech to the united nations. many are saying it's the most important speech of your life. do you feel that? >> translator: no. this is not the most important speech of my life, but i do believe that every moment of a human being's life are the most important for that human being, because they will not come back. if you lose today, today's gone for good. one day of your life is gone. therefore, every moment counts, every moment is important. i have been coming to the united nations general assembly for
9:04pm
eight years now, seeking progress and friendly relations with all nations, and the objective is still the same. >> the reason that people think it's so important is that they believe that in your tenure as president, iran has never been closer to a form of military conflict with israel or possibly america. they also feel the middle east is in great turmoil at the moment, and that for those reasons, what you now have to say this week will be extremely important. >> translator: of course what is talked about in the u.n. general assembly is very important. officials, the leaders of nations appear there to speak of the most important topics, what they perceive to be the most important topics. we have done the same throughout the years but the people of iran, throughout their rich history, have seen many events, have witnessed many events. we have eight years of the holy
9:05pm
defense in which saddam hussein backed by many western powers was against our nation, and then witnessed many other events. about ten years ago, perhaps, iran was under direct threat. those who have occupied iraq and afghanistan were threatening iran on a daily basis. i do not believe that we are under any special conditions now from those sources, but the fact that the world -- historic period in the world is coming to an end, an era during which power has set the first and last word. those holding the keys to power have set the fate of many populations. that era is coming to an end. >> the big catalyst for protests at the moment in the middle east was the video that was released which mocked the prophet
9:06pm
muhammed. as a result, there was an attack as you know on the american embassy in benghazi in libya. the ambassador christopher stevens was murdered. do you condemn the attack which caused his murder? >> translator: fundamentally, first of all, any action that is provocative offends the religious thoughts and feelings of any people, we condemn. likewise, we condemn any type of extremism. of course, what took place was ugly, offending the holy prophet is quite ugly. this has very little or nothing to do with freedom and freedom of speech. this is the weakness of -- and the abuse of freedom and in many places, it is a crime. it shouldn't take place and i do hope the day will come in which
9:07pm
politicians will not seek to offend those whom others hold holy, but we also believe that this must also be resolved in a humane atmosphere, in a participatory environment, and we do not like anyone losing their lives or being killed for any reason anywhere in the world. >> there were protesters all over the middle east now threatening the staff of american embassies, threatening to kill them, to behead them. do you think they should stop? >> translator: you see, i cannot determine what people or nations should do, but i do think that extremism gives birth to following and subsequent extremism. perhaps if the politicians take a better position in the west vis a vis offensive words or
9:08pm
thoughts or pictures towards what we hold holy, i think conditions will improve. but most nations do not pursue tensions and conflict. >> what was your view, your opinion, of the arab spring last year and what is your opinion of what is happening now in the countries where there were uprisings and we saw the end of gadhafi and mubarak and so on? >> translator: i do believe that all of the world needs reform. the reform must take place everywhere. everywhere. even in the very same place that you and i are sitting, because still, humans have not -- have not reached a degree of completeness. there have been a lot of strides
9:09pm
made, but hopes and aspirations have not been realized. in some places, reforms have taken place and some sparks, as you said, we have witnessed, but the desire point is still far away. >> you have often said that democracy, freedom, whatever you want to call it, is best born out of the people of the country, not from other countries interfering. we saw that happening in tunisia, in egypt, in libya. have you encouraged that? do you encourage the people of those countries to rise up and to protest? >> translator: you see, for the people to rise up or to start a movement, it's their own prerogative. we do not meddle or interfere in that. we believe that everywhere, justice respect freedom and friendship must prevail. >> do you believe fundamentally in a man or woman's right to
9:10pm
protest? >> translator: yes. it depends on the laws of any nation. all nation' laws are not equal, they differ. in most countries, in one way or another, this is allowed under the laws. but fundamentally, i do agree certainly people must be allowed to express their own opinions freely. freedom is part of the essential rights of all nations. no one has the right to take that away. >> if that is the case, why has the daughter of the former president of iran, why has she been imprisoned for protesting against your regime? >> translator: in iran there is only one regime so perhaps they are protesting against that and
9:11pm
in iran, the judicial branch is not under the power of the government, of the administration. they have their own laws and that's what they follow. and we have no interference in that. and the government has paved the way for the highest form of freedom for all people, and you see that comfortably people criticize, people sometimes trespass the border lines of proper protest and they insult one another. as a president, i'm in the middle of the people of iran without drawing any borders, without drawing any red lines, and we converse. >> right. but this isn't just any protester. this could be your daughter in the future. it is the daughter of your predecessor, the president. a fairly significant moment that she has been imprisoned. do you feel uncomfortable that this lady is in jail?
9:12pm
>> translator: you see, let's separate the two arguments, the two topics. the fact that whether i'm happy at anyone going to prison, no, never. never. no one should go to prison. but also keep in mind that in any country, everyone must be treated equally under the laws. no one must have or must receive special treatment because of having been a part of the power structure, regardless of whether the action taken that resulted in imprisonment was right or wrong. i'm not a judge of that. >> when we come back, i ask president ahmadinejad what he thinks it will take to stop the bloodshed in syria.
9:13pm
9:14pm
atmix of energies.ve the world needs a broader that's why we're supplying natural gas to generate cleaner electricity... that has around 50% fewer co2 emissions than coal. and it's also why, with our partner in brazil, shell is producing ethanol - a biofuel made from renewable sugarcane. >>a minute, mom! let's broaden the world's energy mix. let's go. nature valley trail mix bars are made with real ingredients you can see. like whole roasted nuts, chewy granola, and real fruit. nature valley trail mix bars. 100% natural. 100% delicious. hey, bro. or engaging. conversations help us learn and grow. at wells fargo, we believe you can never underestimate the power of a conversation. it's this exchange of ideas that helps you move ahead with confidence. so when the conversation turns to your financial goals...
9:15pm
turn to us. if you need anything else, let me know. [ female announcer ] wells fargo. together we'll go far. that's a dead end. ...don't know which way to turn. [ under his breath ] this way... turn around.
9:16pm
that's why we present people with options... to help them find coverage that fits their needs. almost there. [ announcer ] we are insurance. -woo! ♪ we are farmers bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ let's turn to syria. syria is a huge flashpoint at the moment in the middle east. there is a belief that a lot of the assad military are using weapons they've got from iran. is that true, and how long will you continue to support assad given the appalling conditions, the humanitarian catastrophe that we are all watching, at what point do you, the president of iran, say enough of this violence? >> translator: i do believe that we must all say enough of this
9:17pm
violence right now. six months ago, i said enough of this violence. our opinion vis a vis the issue of syria and other nations is completely clear. we do believe that freedom, the right to choose, the right to vote, respect and justice is the fundamental right of all people. all people must obtain these rights. no one has the right to restrict a people and nation, but we believe as a friend of nations, we must help the nations around the world to obtain these rights through peaceful paths, through peaceful actions, and we have worked hard. i am now hard at work to organize a contact group in order to bring the two sides into a point of national agreement. >> mr. president, do you condemn the level of violence that
9:18pm
president assad has brought against his people? because he has been slaughtering tens of thousands of syrians. if as you say you are a man of peace and you believe in fundamentally someone's right to protest, this violence has to stop. have you told president assad it has to stop? >> translator: i am stating my opinion quite clearly. i cannot interfere in the internal matters of syria, but i can announce my opinions. and we are seeking an understanding. some have been working hard to supply weapons to the opposition. the government is also equipped to enter this conflict and based on the foundation that some pursue to resolve issues through military intervention, we completely oppose that doctrine and thought and way of doing
9:19pm
things. we do believe that things must be resolved through dialogue without any outsiders' interference. many encourage these clashes. many and even i as a nation or myself as a president, i said to many countries directly that you are encouraging these clashes. that government is an independent government and it will defend itself. they did not accept this. some furnished weapons and when clashes start, no one displays any mercy. they kill, the other side kills in return and it never stops. >> is iran selling weapons to the syrian government and if it's not selling weapons, are you aware of iranian weapons being given to the syrian government? >> translator: i believe that there are many ahead of line in supplying weapons to sides and
9:20pm
it would never reach our turn. it's quite clear who those individuals are, who those countries are. >> were you pleased that osama bin laden was killed by american navy s.e.a.l.s on the instructions of president obama? >> translator: i would have been happier to see a transparent trial, a formal trial, and find out the root causes of all of the events of the last few years. >> you have been reported as saying that you believe it is possible that the american government were partly responsible for the events of 9/11. that caused a huge outrage. do you stand by that position? >> translator: of course the polls taken inside the united states show that over 75% of the
9:21pm
united states population are still somewhat nebulous about the real reasons of that event, of those events. what i said were a number of questions. an event has occurred. due to that, two countries have been occupied and the conflict still continues. every day, hundreds of people in afghanistan, pakistan and iraq are killed. would it not have been better to have a more precise analysis and find out the true in-depth reason of the events of september 11th, make that -- make those findings transparent to the populations in the nations across the world, and then have a response in unison. of course, the expense would have been much less. do you know how much has been spent during the afghan and iraq war?
9:22pm
>> a considerable amount of money but let me ask you this, mr. president. if nearly 3,000 iranians had been murdered in the way that americans were on 9/11, in tehran, how would you have reacted to the country that you believed had done that? >> translator: so you are saying that the country of afghanistan was at fault? was responsible? so you're seeing the responsible party as a whole nation? >> i think it is inarguable that al qaeda and osama bin laden's men who worked for him were training in afghanistan so afghanistan was certainly knowingly harboring terrorists who were training to commit atrocities. >> translator: i believe that you can under no circumstances justify the condemnation and the attack upon a country in order to reach a single terrorist
9:23pm
group, and i do believe that no matter how long you and i or other people speak, this is unexplainable. allow me to ask you. do you believe that the various administrations of the united states were successful in eradicating terrorism? they haven't been. has the problem been resolved or has it gotten worse? >> well, it's hard to say. >> translator: the approach was wrong. >> my answer would be clearly it was partially successful in the sense that al qaeda has been unable to commit another attack of that magnitude since, and again, i come back to if you were the president of iran and that attack happened in tehran, it wouldn't have been acceptable to your people for you to do nothing. >> translator: not at all. surely we would have pursued the perpetrators, not to seek an entire nation. but i ask you this. during the last ten years,
9:24pm
during the last decade, how many american forces were lost and killed in afghanistan and iraq? even today, even right now, they're still losing their lives. has the situation improved? clearly not. how can you say that it has improved? now the activities of the terrorists have trespassed into the borders of pakistan. in iraq and afghanistan, over a million people have been killed or injured. we are incredibly saddened that over 3,000 people were killed in the united states. the iranian government immediately condemned those brutal attacks and i told you, we are against even the killing of one individual. why should human lives be taken, innocent humans, anywhere in the world.
9:25pm
but in order to avenge the blood of 3,000 people, a million people shouldn't give their lives. some of the behaviors of the united states in our region encourages extremism. perhaps because they don't know the people. so they do need to reform their behavior. there was no need for 5,000 or 6,000 u.s. young men and women to lose their lives. >> coming up, president ahmadinejad's provocative opinions on israel. he tells us what he really meant when he called for the country to be whacked off the map.
9:26pm
i'm an expert on softball. and tea parties. i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. massmutual. we'll help you get there. when you take a closer look... ...at the best schools in the world... ...you see they all have something very interesting in common. they have teachers... ...with a deeper knowledge of their subjects. as a result, their students achieve at a higher level. let's develop more stars in education. let's invest in our teachers...
9:27pm
...so they can inspire our students. let's solve this.
9:28pm
9:29pm
in what may have been a preview of his speech to the general assembly on wednesday, president ahmadinejad criticized israel today, speaking to reporters he said the nation has quote, no roots in the middle east. he'ses contentious with me when we discussed israeli/palestinian relations. let me turn, mr. president, if i may, to israel. you have been condemned very vociferously in america for a comment you are said to have
9:30pm
made that you wanted israel to be wiped off the map. wiped off the face of the earth. there have been many different interpretations of what you said. you have disputed the meaning that was then translated from the original farsi. let me give you this opportunity to say exactly what you did say, and to say exactly what you did mean. >> translator: we have been condemning the united states for many things, for having deposed a dictator with a revolution, for having sought freedom and free elections, for not allowing our oil and national treasure to leave our country freely, for having stood up to very dangerous terrorists in the region, for having stood up
9:31pm
against saddam hussein, who enjoyed the backing of many. we stood up against him and did not allow the occupation of our territory. we have been condemned for a great many things. because we said justice for all. the rule of law for all. the right of peaceful nuclear energy for all. >> do you want, mr. president, do you want -- >> translator: allow me, sir. allow me, please. >> the question wasn't any of that. the question was do you believe that israel should -- >> translator: but i will get to that answer. don't be in such a hurry. >> should israel be wiped off the face of the map? is that your desire? >> translator: if a group comes and occupies the united states of america, destroys homes while women and children are in those homes, incarcerate the youth of america, impose five different
9:32pm
wars on many neighbors, and always threaten others, what would you do? what would you say? would you help it? would you help that entity? or would you help the people of the united states? so when we say, when we say to be wiped, we say for occupation to be wiped off from this world, for war seeking to be wiped off and eradicated. the killing of women and children to be eradicated. and we proposed a way, we proposed a path. the path is to recognize the right of the palestinians to self-governance. allow the people of palestine to make decisions regarding their own future. imagine one day in palestine, there is no longer occupation.
9:33pm
occupation no longer exists in palestine. what else would remain? >> do you believe in a two-state solution? >> translator: about the decision of the people of palestine, i cannot express an opinion. that is their prerogative. but the people of palestine must be allowed by everyone and helped by everyone to allow them to give them the right to choose for themselves, to choose their own future. >> if they agreed, mr. president, if the palestinians agreed to a deal with the israelis which recognized a two-state solution, would you then recognize the state of israel? if the state of palestine was accepted by the international community, would you accept a two-state solution? >> translator: but before that, allow me -- allow me to say something.
9:34pm
i believe what is our common responsibility, all of humanity, must help to end and eradicate occupation, bullying. eradicate bullying. no longer impose or meddle in the internal affairs of anyone. there are about ten million -- there is a ten million strong palestinian population. we cannot impose our will on them. allow them to choose for themselves. whatever their choice is, we cannot express or impose our opinion on them, but it's important for occupation to come to an end, for allowing occupation to come to an end -- >> i understand that. >> translator: people have the right to self-determination. >> i understand that, but if the palestinians were allowed to reach a deal, i'm assuming there is a deal, if they agree a peace settlement, would you as president of iran recognize the
9:35pm
state of israel, because that would be a very significant contribution to the peace settlement if you did. >> translator: i think there are many choices in question here. you seem to prefer only one choice, only one avenue, and want to ask me my opinion on that. i do believe that as a human being and as a political figure, prior to speaking about the construct of government, i must speak of the fundamental rights of the people. i say we must give the free right of choice and self-determination to the people of palestine. this is a much higher value, of much higher value than what you are intent in hearing. we recognize that -- allow occupation to come to an end, allow the palestinians to be
9:36pm
released from incarceration, allow the people of palestine to sit down at the table of collaboration and make their own decision, and you should respect that decision and we should do that as well. any decision they make for their own land, for their own country, not for others'. >> would you prefer -- >> translator: i don't want to sit here and make a decision for them. whatever decision they make, we respect. >> coming up, things get pretty heated when i push president ahmadinejad to explain his views on the holocaust. ♪
9:37pm
[ male announcer ] introducing a reason to look twice. the entirely new lexus es and the first-ever es hybrid. this is the pursuit of perfection. begins with back pain and a choice. take advil, and maybe have to take up to four in a day. or take aleve, which can relieve pain all day with just two pills. good eye.
9:38pm
you won't just find us online, you'll also find us in person, with dedicated support teams at over 500 branches nationwide. so when you call or visit, you can ask for a name you know. because personal service starts with a real person. [ rodger ] at scottrade, seven dollar trades are just the start. our support teams are nearby, ready to help. it's no wonder so many investors are saying... [ all ] i'm with scottrade.
9:39pm
9:40pm
back with my exclusive interview with iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad. when it comes to asking him questions, there's no such thing as an easy answer, especially when it comes to the holocaust. do you believe that the holocaust happened? because many jews believe that you do not think it happened, and they have a view of you because of that. >> translator: the historic event that you spoke of, i have two questions. i had two questions for quite some time, never received an answer to either one.
9:41pm
everywhere, they allow a certain amount of research, of looking into historical events. whenever there are obstacles placed on this path, then a question mark or two will arise. why such obstacles? >> what are the questions that you have about the holocaust? >> translator: why in europe has it been forbidden for anyone to conduct any research about this event? why are researchers imprisoned? >> there has been extensive research into the holocaust. it is indisputable that over six million jews were annihilated by hitler and the nazis. the question is do you dispute that six million jews were killed? >> translator: do you believe in the freedom of thought and ideas or not? >> i believe in facts. >> translator: and the freedom of research, do you believe in that and allow that or no? >> i believe in -- mr. president -- >> translator: two times two
9:42pm
equals what? >> that's not the question i'm asking you. you're a scholar. you're a very intelligent man. do you believe that six million jews were annihilated by hitler and the nazis? do you believe that as a fact? >> translator: you pose a question and are willing to only hear what you want me to say. >> it's a simple answer. >> translator: do you want my answer or the answer that you want me to give? your opinion is quite clear. >> you either believe it or you don't. >> translator: your answer and your thoughts seem to be quite clear on the topic. why do you wish to impose your opinion on me? >> i believe it is an inarguable fact that six million jews were killed in the war by hitler and the nazis. i'm merely asking you as the president of iran and as a scholar, do you believe that six million jews were killed by the nazis, or do you think that is not true? >> translator: so in other words, i must accept the premise of your question in order to give you the answer? >> no.
9:43pm
you either believe six million jews were killed or you don't. >> translator: you asked me a question. >> the answer to the question, mr. president, is yes or no. i'm not imposing any ideas. >> translator: allow me, sir. >> i'm not imposing any ideas. >> translator: so you see, what you're doing is you're -- is you're seeking a response based on my thoughts. why do you even care the origin of my thoughts are? the result of the events of the second world war led to the occupation of the territory. >> the reason i care is because part of your reputation in america, the damage to your reputation amongst americans, is because they believe that you questioned the validity of the holocaust so i'm simply asking you to state very clearly and simply whether you believed over six million jews were killed by the nazis in the war or not. and the answer's either yes or no. it's not a difficult question. >> translator: i thank you for
9:44pm
caring so much about me. and i do believe that it is common place for someone, for an interviewer to pose a question and wait for the proper response to be completed. if you keep wanting to interrupt me, it's not an issue, it's your show, here you are and here's the camera. speak to your heart's content. >> i will allow you to answer in any way you see fit. >> translator: you must not insist on receiving the proper -- what you see as the proper answer or behavior from me. i pass no judgment about historic events. i say researchers and scholars must be free to conduct research and analysis about any historical event. and have contrary opinions, pro and con.
9:45pm
this should not have led to setting up of new confines and border lines throughout the world and classify some as good, some as bad. why should a researcher be put in jail, one question. question number two, let's assume your parameter is right, your question is right. your assumption is that this event took place. where did it take place? who were the individuals responsible for this event? what does this have to do with the occupation of palestine? what role did the people of palestine play in this event? these are very clear and transparent questions, sir. the third question i have, if a historic event, if a historical event has indeed taken place, why so much sensitivity surrounding it by politicians? >> if i may -- >> translator: this has already come and gone. >> let me move on. time is short. let me move on.
9:46pm
>> translator: everyone knows -- >> time is short. prime minister netanyahu has been making it very clear that he believes iran is developing uranium now with the specific purpose not to help people with cancer, as you would say, but to have a nuclear weapon, and he is also indicating that israel may take some preemptive strike against iran. if israel does launch a strike against your country, what will your response be? >> translator: the response of iran is quite clear. i don't even need to explain that. any question, and any nation has the right and will indeed defend herself. but my question is this. why should the world be managed in such a way that an individual can allow himself to threaten a rich and deeply rooted historical ancient country such
9:47pm
as iran, a great country such as iran, based on an excuse of his own fabrication? so anyone can do this. another country can say i am guessing that country b is doing activity x, therefore, i will -- >> do you fear, do you fear, mr. president -- >> translator: i will attack that country. >> i understand. do you fear that war is imminent? do you fear that there will be military conflict, perhaps even before the end of this year, between your country and israel? >> translator: of course, the zionists are very adventuresome, very much seeking to fabricate things and i think they see themselves at the end of the line, and i do firmly believe that they seek to create opportunities for themselves and their adventurous behaviors. >> let me ask you this.
9:48pm
there is an american election coming in november. who do you prefer to win that election, barack obama or mitt romney? the reason i ask you is that mitt romney has been much more aggressive in the language he has used against your country than barack obama has. >> translator: i do respect the right to free elections for the people of the united states. this is the right of the people of the united states. >> were you happy with what mitt romney said about iran? >> translator: i said that i really don't want to express an opinion but i do believe that unilateral behaviors and unilateral ways and bullying ways throughout the world are coming to an end. everyone in the world must embark upon a path of friendship, must seek humanity, human values and logic. and this is something that will govern the world.
9:49pm
>> president ahmadinejad has famously claimed there are no homosexuals in iran. you will hear what he told me when i asked if he believes people are born gay. >> announcer: with nothing but his computer, an identity thief is able to use your information to open a bank account in order to make your money his money. [whoosh, clang] you need lifelock, the only identity theft protection company that now monitors bank accounts for takeover fraud. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today.
9:50pm
i'm barack obama and i approve this message. romney: "it's time to stand up to the cheaters" vo: tough on china? not mitt romney. when a flood of chinese tires threatened a thousand american jobs... it was president obama who stood up to china and protected american workers. mitt romney attacked obama's decision... said standing up to china was "bad for the nation and our workers." how can mitt romney take on the cheaters... when he's taking their side?
9:51pm
and the candidate's speech is in pieces all over the district. the writer's desktop and the coordinator's phone are working on a joke with local color. the secure cloud just received a revised intro from the strategist's tablet. and while i make my way into the venue, the candidate will be rehearsing off of his phone. [ candidate ] and thanks to every young face i see out there. [ woman ] his phone is one of his biggest supporters.
9:52pm
[ female announcer ] with cisco at the center... working together has never worked so well. [ female announcer ] with cisco at the center... you're not just looking for a by house. eyes you're looking for a place for your life to happen.
9:53pm
when people talk of freedom, and i've heard you talk of freedom, they look at iran and they say there are still laws banning homosexuality. you have a law that bans single women from going skiing on their own. and they say, what kind of freedom is that? if people can't be gay because they were born that way, or they can't go skiing as a single woman. what do you say to the critics? >> translator: now, you've managed to mix a number of things here. for a single lady to go on a trip to go skiing, is that forbidden in iran? who has told you that? >> it's not forbidden? >> translator: i'm hearing it from you. >> it's been widely reported that you brought in a rule that said single women could not go skiing. are you now telling me they can?
9:54pm
>> translator: i'm hearing it from you, sir, for the first time. >> to collar phi, if a single woman from iran is watching this interview, she can go skiing on her own? >> of course they see this program because it's broadcast in iran. >> it's perfectly okay, you are happy for single women -- >> translator: allow me. home me sexuality is a completely different topic. this kind of support of homosexuality is only ingrained in the thoughts of hardcore capitalists and those who support the growth of capital only rather than human values. according to all prophets and all religions and faiths, homosexuality is forbidden. it is a very ugly behavior. how can you, in order to obtain
9:55pm
four or five more additional votes, how can you -- >> do you believe -- i've heard you say this. >> when i say freedom. allow me, sir, allow me. >> do you believe that homosexual people are -- are they born homosexual? or do they become homosexual? what do you believe? >> translator: they become. at the end of the day they do become that way. i'm not seeking the root causes of it, though. the problems that are facing humanity today are much deeper than whether a single lady goes skiing or not. there are many reforms yet to take place. many reforms as of yet to be realized in the united states 50 million people live in poverty. is america a poor country? they're human beings too. each one of them is a complete
9:56pm
human being with many hopes and aspirations and dreams. throughout the world, 1.2 billion people live in utter poverty. dictatorships do exist, oppressions exist. denying human dignity exists unfortunately. all of this must be reformed. >> see, when i hear you say this -- >> they must -- >> i like you speaking like this, this is great. shouldn't freedom and individuality, all those things also extend to people who just happen to be gay? who were born gay? they weren't made gay. wouldn't it be great for the president of iran to say, you know something, everyone's entitled to be whatever sexuality they are born to be? that would be a great symbol of freedom. >> do you really believe that someone is born homosexual? >> yes, i absolutely believe that, i do. >> translator: i'm sorry, let me ask you this. >> do you believe that anyone is
9:57pm
given birth to homosexuality? homosexuality ceases procreation. who has said that if you like or believe in doing something ugly and others do not accept your behavior, they're denying your freedom. who says that? >> mr. president -- >> perhaps in a country they wish to legitimize stealing. >> you are a father of three children. have you two sons and a daughter. what would you do if one of them was gay? >> translator: these things have dinner ways -- the proper education must be given, the education system must be revamped, the political system must be revamped and these must be reformed, revamped along the way. if you -- if a group recognizes an ugly behavior or ugly deed as
9:58pm
legitimate, you must not expect other countries or other groups to give it the same recognition. this is an imposition of your will, sir. >> how would you feel if one of your children dated a jew? >> translator: i would have to see who that jewish man or woman would be. i see love amongst people as completely acceptable. there are many jus living in iran with whom we're very close. there are some muslims that marry into jewish families or marry christians. we have no such problems. >> people would be surprised. people will be surprised you say that, mr. president. they will like you for saying th that. >> translator: of course, i think none of us should represent the whole population
9:59pm
of the united states. but we believe that color, religion, native tongue, ethnic background should create differences or distances between people. nor should it be the whole reason to bring people closer. it's always been like this. when we come back, a question mahmoud ahmadinejad has never been asked before. wait until you hear how he answers it. i ask every guest one question. how many times in your life, mr. president, have you been properly in love? plus ds calcium with efficient absorption in one daily dose. citracal slow release. with efficient absorption in one daily dose. ♪